Welcome to Shannon’s Edit! I can’t tell you how excited I am to be sat here, tea in hand, typing my first post. As I turned the pivotal 21 this week, I thought I’d kick things off over here on a personal note, sharing 21 lessons I’ve learned so far. Some wise, some not so wise, but I stand by each and every one wholeheartedly.
Disclaimer: I definitely do not have it all figured out just yet.
1. People are always going to have an opinion
The trick is figuring out whose opinions matter and whose don’t.
2. Eat the pizza
One pizza will not make you fat and one workout will not make you a Victoria’s Secret angel (believe me, I’ve tried).
3. You are in charge of your own happiness
Accept that there are some things you can’t change, and do something about the things you can. “There are always flowers for those who want to see them.” Perception is everything, and I no longer have time for people who choose to be miserable.
4. FOMO is overrated
A lot of the time staying in is better than going out.
5. “Will this matter in a year?”
My big sister said this to me once and it remains one of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever received. Next time you’re stressing about or overthinking something, ask yourself that question. (Hint: the answer is pretty much always no)
6. New York is the best place on earth
7. There are amazing friends waiting to be made everywhere
So please stop fretting over the silly bitches.
8. Stop filming entire concerts
Just enjoy it. You are never going to watch those videos.
9. The people who love you will always want to see you win
Anyone who doesn’t is not your friend.
10. Experiment with your hair
As my sister-in-law says, “that’s why it grows”.
11. You will never regret actually going to the gym
Getting there is the struggle, but once you’ve finished you will never think “ugh why did I do that?”. It’s ironic that I’ve included this because the gym and I are definitely on a break.
12. Always surround yourself with people who challenge your point of view
Everyone could use being taken down a few pegs every now and again.
13. If you can’t stop thinking about it, buy it
(I don’t need to elaborate on this one)
14. Sleep is for the wise, not the weak
15.Social media is all smoke and mirrors
Sometimes this is harmless, sometimes its not. You can be having the week from hell, but does your social media ever reflect that? We unwittingly project these perfect snippets of our lives as the full picture. Remember that if you’re doing this, everyone else probably (definitely) is too.
16. Travelling gives you so much more than just good Instagram photos
17. Single is not a bad word
Okay, so I’m not single. But not too long ago I did have a fleeting burst of singleness and embracing this brought so many amazing people and experiences my way.
18. Leave home
It makes going back all the sweeter.
19. All problems are lessened by a cup of tea
20. The older women in your life (mums, sisters, aunties, grannies) are indispensable fountains of wisdom
Listen to them. They’ve done it all before.
21. La vie est belle
Shop this post:
Sunglasses- Quay Australia x Chrisspy
Let’s be friends: